Welcome to the launch of The 2nd Annual Sore Eye Cup, an award for the best regularly produced craft beer in San Diego! Last year was a resounding success, Speedway Stout from the mighty Alesmith dominated the competition with an average score of 47 out of 50 and is the only beer not eligible for this year’s award. We will honor the winning craft beer with an actual cup (over 64oz capacity) they can lord over all other breweries in town, drink their amazing suds out of, smash in total victory, or all the above!
Here are the rules: Beers nominated must be brewed here in San Diego County by a recognized brewery (If you’re a homebrewer I’m more than willing to try your beer, anytime, maybe even trade for some of mine). They must be regular beers the brewery makes year round; seasonal, special versions, one offs and casks are not allowed. We’re looking for beers that are available to everyone in SD.
Nominate your favorite beer(s) by emailing me at SoreEyeCup@gmail.com, tweet me (@mkbain) or tag your nomination #SoreEyeCup in Twitter or Facebook. Nominations are open until the end of June, and then we will move into the voting round. The top ten beers (at least), as voted by you, the best followers on earth, will be blind tasted/judged by our panel of 10. The judges range from craft beer enthusiasts to certified beer judges. We are truly looking for the best regularly produced craft beer San Diego has to offer. The best craft beer, as chosen by us, will be awarded the esteemed Sore Eye Cup and receive all the prestige and glory one blog can bestow upon a brewery!
Current Nominated Beers:
– Oatmeal Stout from Benchmark Brewing Co.
– The Apprentice, The Pupil & The Butcher from Societe Brewing Company
– Lupulin Lust & Vanilla Storm from Rip Current
– Beeruccino, Hop The RIPA & Wicked As Sin from Helm’s Brewing Co.
– Nelson & Duet from Alpine Beer Company
– Sculpin & Big Eye from Ballast Point Brewing
– Go To IPA & Levitation from Stone Brewing Co.
– West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Company
– Nut Brown, X-Extra Pale Ale & Wee Heavy from Alesmith Brewing Company
– Dark Seas & Shipwrecked from Mission Brewery
– Ponto from Pizza Port Brewing Co.
– Voyager English Ale from Arcana Brewing Company
– American Strong Ale from Culture Brewing Co.
– Gavel Drop from Council Brewing Company
– Habitus & Grazias from Mike Hess Brewing
– Riverwalk Blonde & Gillespie Brown from Twisted Manzanita Ales
– Cali’ Creamin’ & Kismet from Mother Earth Brew Co.
– Shake Your Money Maker from Acoustic Ales
– Peanut Butter Milk Stout from Belching Beaver
– Gatling Gun from BNS Brewing
– IPA from St. Archer Brewing Co.
– Zumbar & Brewer’s Special Brown from New English Brewing Co.
– Blue Bridge Coffee Stout & Islander IPA from Coronado Brewing Company
– Marzen from Gordon Biersch
– Tower 10 IPA from Karl Strauss
– Vanilla’s Porter & Camel Corps IPA from Latitude 33 Brewing
– Elemental Pilsner & Thunderweizen Ale from Lightning Brewery