Can you believe it’s the 5th Sore Eye Cup?! It has been an amazing and humbling journey to recognize the excellence of the local, independent beer in San Diego! Last year you guys annihilated all records of beers nominated, votes gathered, and attendees of the announcement party. I am truly appreciative of every single person, business, and brewery that has participated in the contest in any way.
Here are some important dates to keep in mind as we move into Sore Eye Cup season:
- June 16th (a week from Friday)- is the official launch and the time that you can begin nominating regularly produced, San Diego, #IndieBeer. This is also the day I will announce this year’s amazing sponsor!
- June 30th – nominations close at 8pm
- July 5th – voting begins! You’ll be able to vote for up to 5 beers per day. You’ll have to log in with a social media handle of some kind, this will help stave off the mischievous votes of years past and is probably the biggest change for the contest this year.
- July 22nd – voting closes at 8pm – I’m not going to announce who made the final 10 beers to be judged publicly this year until judging has completed, another minor change to the Cup
- July 29th – The Sore Eye Tour! This is where we physically go to all 10 breweries and purchase (yes, that’s right, we pay for the beer) each beer to be judged
- July 30th – Judging happens and the winner is chosen by a panel of 10 judges!
- August 1st – I announce who the 10 finalist beers are to the public
- August 5th – The Sore Eye Cup announcement party!
Beers nominated must be brewed here in San Diego County by a licensed, independent, craft brewery. They must be beers the brewery makes year round; seasonal, special versions, one offs, nitro versions, and casks are not allowed. The beers do not need to be packaged (cans or bottles), just made all year long and available for growler fills (so we can get some to judge). We’re looking for superior craft beers that are available to everyone in SD.
Two beers are ineligible for this year’s cup, last year’s champion, Tabula Rasa from Second Chance, and the only member of the Sore Eye Cup Hall of Fame, Speedway Stout from AleSmith.